Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Salivating Army

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Salivating Army

    Why don't I ever see any speakers like these at my local thrift stores? (seller is SalvationArmyStore)

    Pair of Altec Lansing Model 604-8H Speakers (100) | eBay

    Cabinets may be homebrew? 604-8H drivers look to be in good shape. Crossovers not pictured???? "Not tested"? Hmmmm......
    Last edited by voice of the theater; October 30th, 2016 at 05:51 PM.
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Salivating Army

    I think a lot of the high end stuff doesn't even make it to the floor. Thats probably a good thing for these speakers. I could picture someone going in to push the dustcap in, realizing it doesn't have a dustcap, and just ripping the horn off instead

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Salivating Army


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Salivating Army

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I think a lot of the high end stuff doesn't even make it to the floor. Thats probably a good thing for these speakers. I could picture someone going in to push the dustcap in, realizing it doesn't have a dustcap, and just ripping the horn off instead
    been thinking of getting a part time job at the one in Naples.
    Sonic Barbarian

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Salivating Army

    Well you can see they research Ebay to get a starting price. Not enough info to spring 1700 bucks though.

    BillWojo

    - - - Updated - - -

    BTW, there is a pair on Canukaudiomarket for 1700CDN, less than 1400 USD!

    BillWojo

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Salivating Army

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    been thinking of getting a part time job at the one in Naples.
    I wonder if workers at the Anaheim store or Los Angeles store see many vintage Altecs there very often? (these ship from the Anaheim store)
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Salivating Army

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    been thinking of getting a part time job at the one in Naples.
    A good plan, my first wife's mom was a local 'big wig' in the SA, so we got first pick along with quite a few others, though AFAIK I was the only one interested in large speakers other than consoles......

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2011
    Posts
    368
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Salivating Army

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    Why don't I ever see any speakers like these at my local thrift stores? (seller is SalvationArmyStore)

    Pair of Altec Lansing Model 604-8H Speakers (100) | eBay

    Cabinets may be homebrew? 604-8H drivers look to be in good shape. Crossovers not pictured???? "Not tested"? Hmmmm......
    Junk stores are funny, it all seems to depend on where you live. I have junked in a few states some with absolutely no success, some with very good finds. I found a painting about 3 months ago at one with no price tag. I asked an employee if they could price it, they did and put a 14.99 sticker on it. I sent a picture off to Christies and it was valued a 11 to 14k.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.